Periodontal disease symptoms
Periodontal disease oftentimes can be silent, meaning it doesn’t have any symptoms. This makes it important to have regular dental exams and routine dental cleanings that allow our dentist to diagnose you early on when the disease is reversible.
Some of the most common periodontal disease symptoms include:
- Swollen, tender, or red gums
- Bleeding during oral hygiene
- Receding gums
- Separating/loose teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- Changes in the bite
If you suspect you may have gum disease, our professionals can help treat it before it advances to more serious stages that have significant risks.
Periodontal disease treatments
The treatment that we choose for your oral health will depend on the severity of your periodontal disease. Treating it as early as possible helps us to minimize damage and decreases the need for surgical treatments. It also can reduce the chance for any tooth loss. The goal for periodontal disease treatment in our California dental office is to restore gum health entirely.
Some of the most common periodontal treatments used at our dental office include:
- Scaling and root planning: This is the least invasive periodontal disease treatment. During this treatment, we remove plaque and tartar near the gum line and create a smoother root surface. By smoothly out rough spots, this allows our professional team to remove bacteria. This creates a clean surface for the gums to reattach successfully and prevents progression of the disease.
- Bone grafting: This periodontal disease treatment uses fragments of your own bone or donated bone to replace lost bone to rebuild the jaw. This makes your teeth more stable again. Soft tissue grafts are used to reinforce thin gums and to fill in places where gum recession is significant.
- Gum lift surgery: This is for more advanced stages of periodontal disease. During this surgery, we lift the gums back and remove all tartar. The gums are placed to fit snugly around each tooth again. This helps to reduce the space between the gum and the tooth, which keeps bacteria from developing there again.
- Restoration: When tooth loss occurs because of periodontal disease, we offer a variety of tooth restoration options such as dental crowns and dental implants.
Learn more about periodontal disease treatment
When left untreated, periodontal disease will continue to worsen and advanced into later stages. At Hilltop Dental, our experienced dental staff will do a thorough examination of your teeth, mouth and gums and will recommend any care that is needed such as periodontal disease treatment. We serve the cities of Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Westlake Village, Malibu, and surrounding areas and provide superior dental care. Check out our web page at hilltopdentalcare.com or give us a call at 818-303-2241 and allow us to treat your periodontal disease today.